I think it's time for a Saturday 9!
Saturday 9: Beautiful People (2019)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is about the fantasy of being one of the "beautiful people," but how hollow the reality can be. Do you often find yourself envying others for what they have?
No. I have more than enough stuff. In fact, sometimes I think that I have too much stuff.
2) Ed Sheeran sings that he and his girl don't fit in well because they're "just ourselves." Who among your close friends do you find it easiest to be "just yourself?"
Really? I'm "just myself" with all of my close friends. Hell, the older I get, the more I'm "just myself" with everybody. It takes too much energy to be anyone else!
3) The lyrics refer to Hummers and Lamborghinis. What's your dream ride?
I would love to take a ride in a La Ferrari.
4) Ed believes in giving back. One cause he supports is No Cold Homes, which helps ensure that everyone in the English city of Bristol has the fuel needed to keep their homes safe and comfortable. Here in the United States, he's raised funds for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Is there a cause that's near and dear to your heart?
Yes. The Whitman-Walker Clinic in Washington, D.C. is near and dear to my heart. When I have the chance to specify a charity to receive my money, I choose them. My Amazon Smile account benefits them too. I originally started donating to them after my dearest friend Tommy died of AIDS, because they welcomed and treated AIDS patients. They've been committed to serving the entire D.C. community since 1973.
5) Ed's arms are covered in tattoos, so clearly he doesn't suffer from trypanophobia, or a fear of needles. How about you? Do you look away when the doctor gives you a shot?
I actually like watching when I get stuck. When I was getting chemotherapy, I watched every single stick. When SonnyeBoy was about 12, we had to rush him to the clinic to get a head gash sewn up. While I was watching the doc stitch him up, I noticed that Joe was sitting down with his head in his hands. Hah!
6) One of Ed's tattoos is a bottle of Heinz Ketchup. What condiments would we find if we peeked into your refrigerator this morning?
Ketchup, Dijon mustard, yellow mustard, honey mustard, mayonnaise. We are not particularly adventurous when it comes to condiments.
7) Ed is a natural redhead, a trait he shares with only 2% of the population. Does red hair run in your family?
Not my immediate family, but I have two grand-nieces (they're first cousins, born two months apart) with beautiful red hair!
8) In 2019, when this song was released, the FDA recommended the approval of a drug for treating peanut allergies in children. Do you suffer from any food allergies, or sensitivities?
Well, tomato sauce gives me agita, but that's about it.
9) Random question: What of these do you think is the biggest contributing factor to success -- hard work, luck or talent?
Actually, I think you need all three.