Inspection Solution
Saturday Nine: Bonanza

The Low Down on the High Water

In case you haven't heard, we've been having a lot of severe weather in these parts. On Thursday, it rained. And rained. And rained and rained. Thursday night there was a downpour, which made us uneasy.

We live between the Schuylkill River Trail and the Schuykill River. Six weeks after we moved here in 2014, Mother Nature dumped four straight days of heavy rain on us, causing a flash flood of epic proportions. Our apartment complex had three feet of water in it and around it. Luckily, we got the email that the flood was upon us and were able to move our car to high ground.

Since then, we've had a few minor floods, where the river snuck up through the storm drain to pool on the riverside road or some of the riverside parking lot, but nothing like the big one.

Thursday night was the closest we've come to that.

We got an email from the management company around midnight - after we'd gone to bed - telling us that yes, the river was expected to flood, but only onto the riverside road. No problem; don't fret.

An hour later a second email advised us to move our cars as far away from the river as possible because the water was rising rapidly and would swamp the riverside parking lot and spread into the garages. (Our garage is actually the ground floor of the building, which turns out to be a very good thing.)

About the same time, we woke up to the sound of a car honking, as if a car alarm had gone off. Someone was driving slowly up and down the middle road through the complex, honking honking honking honking. We got up, somewhat annoyed, and peered out the window. We saw folks moving their cars. Joe went and checked the river, and saw that - yes, indeedy! - the water was coming alarming close to the garage.

We decided to move our cars a half-mile up the road to the parking lot at the old Betzwood Studio near the entrance to the community. Lots of other folks had the same idea. Then we walked the half-mile back home down the Schuylkill River Trail by the light of Joe's iPhone flashlight and the occasional lightning bug.

Of course, we were rather wired when we got home, so we stayed up for another hour, I ranted on Facebook, and then we went to bed.

Luckily, the river decided to stop rising before it got into the garage. However, the poor slobs who didn't move their cars from the parking lot were not so fortunate.


And this was after the water had receded somewhat!

By the way, I posted on Facebook when we got back from moving the cars and included a picture from the Great Flood of 2014. I have a feeling that some folks may have thought that was what happened on Thursday. Close, but happily it was not a repeat performance!