These cookies were one of Mom's specialties. I remember sitting on the kitchen counter beside my younger sister watching her make these cookies. I'm sure she set us up there to keep an eye on us, but to me it was a total treat to watch all the ingredients get mixed together. Once the dough was ready, my sister and I got to lick the beaters -- heaven! And once the dough was all cookie'd up, we got to lick the bowl -- nirvana!
Anyway, I got the recipe from my niece, and now I'm sharing it with you. Mix it up, lick the beaters, and have a cookie!
Anna's Sacred Chocolate Chip CookiesIngredients
- 1 stick of butter (DO NOT use magarine; Mom will haunt you.)
- 8 tablespoons Crisco
- 1 box dark brown sugar (Yes, a box. One pound. I am not kidding.)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/4 cups flour (Mom used Gold Medal All Purpose.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 1 package of chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add everything else, except chocolate chips.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Lick beaters.
- Drop by tablepoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Lick bowl.
- Take cookies out of oven; eat 1 immediately while gasping as molten chocolate chip burns your lip.
- Let cool, then eat a whole bunch more with a cold glass of milk.