Many people are lamenting the fact that September starts this week, that the days are getting shorter, that fall is imminent and summer is fading away.
I am not. I am very happy to see the turn of the seasons this year, because this summer has mostly sucked shit through a rag.
Okay, I'm not totally happy to see the days get shorter, but it's a small price to pay for overall improvement.
Let's review the reasons why 2007 was The Summer of Suck:
- Job uncertainty -- from the initial announcement of the reorganization to the revelation of the new structure to the applying for jobs to the decisions made, the whole process sucked. It's like a Law of Corporate Life. No matter how hard the organization tries to do this type of thing right, it will suck.
- No real vacation, as in a week off doing nothin'. A week of lolling and sipping cool drinks; a week of reading trashy novels and indulging in naps -- whatever, it didn't happen.
- Got fired from the paid blogging gig. Just not mommybloggish enough, evidently.
- I did not juggle or write much of anything, two of the things I most like to do. Why? Eh. I don't know. Depression, tiredness, lack of motivation... I can come up with plenty of excuses.
- And, of course, the biggest reason of all -- Mom's illness and decline has totally thrown all of us for a loop. I don't care how nice a nursing home is, it's still a sad place.
Best of all, Mom stayed with us, and may even get to go home.
So bring on fall! It's gotta be better than this summer.