Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song/video, Ms. Sinatra's boots make a serious fashion statement. Do you choose footwear for comfort or fashion? Comfort first, for sure. However, I do like cute shoes! I must say, though, that I have never been able to wear very high heels -- I blame my Earth Shoe phase. I did buy this pair of heels in dark blue recently, but they're only 2.5 inches high -- just about the upper limit for me. I couldn't resist the cuteness and I got 40% off! Best of all, they are actually comfortable.
2) This is by far the biggest hit of Nancy Sinatra's career, which includes 6 top ten hits. Can you name another? Yep -- Sugartown. The chorus has a line that goes "Shu-shu-shu...shu-shu-shu...shu-shu-shu-shu-shu-shu Sugartown." Every time we drive I-95 south, we pass the exist for Joppatowne. I can't help but think "Ja-ja-ja...ja-ja-ja...ja-ja-ja-ja-ja-ja Joppatowne!"
3) Nancy recorded it on Reprise Records, which was founded by her father, Frank. Did your parents give you a leg up in your chosen career? Not really, but they didn't hold me back, either.
4) Professionally Nancy has been involved in espionage, singing the theme to a James Bond movie and appearing in an episode of The Man from UNCLE. Do you enjoy spy/secret agent stories? Yes! The best I've seen within the past few years was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I do enjoy the Bond films though -- even when they are completely outlandish and silly.
5) Nancy maintains the official Sinatra family website, which includes a link to the site of Mia Farrow. Ms. Farrow was, briefly, Nancy's stepmother, and obviously they are still on good terms. Do you have a big, extended family? Not in the sense of step-relatives, but when I count all of various generations, yes, it's pretty big!
6) Nancy's music -- and posters -- were very popular with the troops during the Vietnam War. Nancy continues to return their loyalty and affection with her efforts on behalf of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund. Here's your chance to promote a cause that's near and dear to your heart. What charity gets your support? There isn't one in particular. I support my friends who walk to support various charities. And, while not strictly charities, we also support Planned Parenthood and our local amazing public radio station, WXPN.
7) Nancy hosts a Sirius radio show devoted to her father's music. Do you have a subscription to a satellite radio or podcast network? No. Chicolini occasionally reminds me that it has a satellite radio ID, but I haven't subscribed.
8) Nancy has said that she and her sister Tina had a more comfortable relationship with their famous father than their late brother, Frank, Jr., did. Do you think it's easier for mothers to get along with their sons, while fathers have an easier time with their daughters? I don't think it's that cut and dried. My mom always used to quote this little verse to me: "A son is a son 'til he takes a wife; a daughter's a daughter the rest of her life." It made me feel trapped!
9) Random question: Tonight's dinner is on us. Would you prefer to eat at a casual restaurant with exceptional food, or an exclusive restaurant with so-so food but a celebrity clientele? I'll take the food!!
Saturday 9: These Boots Were Made for Walkin' (1966)
Of course, I meant to do this yesterday, on actual Saturday. That, alas, did not happen, so here we are!