How about another Random Prompt?
Holidailies recipe swap: post a great holiday recipe (and tell us why you like it so much)
I've talked an awful lot about the Best Pumpkin Pie in the Whole Entire World, so I won't beat that dead horse anymore. Instead, I'll tell you about another holiday delicacy that my Gramma used to make: stuffed dates.
Sounds kinda weird, doesn't it? Well, the recipe is insanely easy. It only has three ingredients!
- 1 package pitted dates (You can buy unpitted dates, but then you'd just have to pit them. Why bother?)
- 1 small package walnut halves (If you can't find halves, get whole walnuts, but get them already shelled. Because it's easier, that's why!)
- Powdered sugar
- Take a date and open it up.
- Put a walnut half inside and close it up again.
- Roll the date in powdered sugar.
- Repeat until you're out of dates. (Or walnuts.)
- Eat some.
- Put the rest on a pretty dish for serving as an hors d'oeurve, a snack, or even dessert.
I love these little morsels. Dates are lovely chewy fruits, the walnuts add a nice crunch, and the sugar adds just a touch of candy-like sweetness. You can pop one in your mouth or be very ladylike and dainty and eat one in two bites. They always remind me of Gramma and Christmas dinner.