There is a line in one of Rita Mae Brown's novels (I cannot remember which one right now) where a character, upon being stricken with a fatal heart attack, says, "Thank you God, for all of it."
We had a quiet Thanksgiving this year -- just Joe and me. My cousin's wife passed on hosting the dinner this year because my cousin is in poor health. SonnyeBoy had to work, so he couldn't come home to join us. We're missing my brother-in-law.
Even so, I have so much to be thankful for. Here are a mere ten, in no particular order.
1. I'm thankful that we're both well, for old farts.
2. I'm thankful for Joe's love.
3. I'm thankful for my family -- my brother and sisters and their entire families.
4. I'm thankful that SonnyeBoy got to have a Thanksgiving dinner with his sweetie's family, even if he did have to go to work tonight.
5. I'm thankful that the weather today was about as good as it could possibly be.
6. I'm thankful that dinner was good, especially the pie.
7. I'm thankful that the Redskins won! Against the Cowboys! In Dallas!
8. I'm thankful for swings.
9. I'm thankful for so many friends, from my longtime friends to my circus friends to STC friends to my journaling/blogging/internet friends to my Tribe. Did I leave anyone out? If I did, to you, too.
10. I'm thankful for a clean and orderly basement with a clean bathroom.
So, even though it's not all skittles and beer, even though there are bills to pay and repairs to make and work to do, for this moment, for this day, it's all good.
Thank you God, for all of it.