Well, hello there! I, of course, have been meaning to post since the last time I posted, but...
Oh, no excuses. I've been shirking. So let's get caught up!
- The health stuff. I did meet with a nutritionist in my health plan's Diabetes Management Program. She went over the basics about eating properly to control blood sugar, then we discussed the details. It's pretty much low carb, with the allowable carbs (about 90-100 grams a day) spread out over three meals and a snack. I'm don't let more than five hours elapse between meals; I eat breakfast within an hour of hauling my ass out of bed. It seems to be working -- I feel better, the leg cramps have pretty much stopped, and I've lost a little weight. Next up: exercise!
- Speaking of food, the Blue Apron meals fit rather well into the scheme. And man oh man, my cooking skills are getting a workout! I mean, would I ever have attempted Pork and Tomatillo Pozole on my own? No, I would not. Best of all, everything has been delicious. The only downside is that we have a very sensitive smoke alarm and we have hurt its feelings a couple (okay, three; well, maybe four) of times.
- Speaking of cooking, I realized pretty quickly into this Blue Apron adventure that my cookware wasn't cutting it. I mean, my skillets were 25-year old T-Fal; the teflon was so scratched up that it was practically another ingredient. So, thanks to a great Macy's sale and our tax refund, I treated myself to some high-class, All-Clad utensils -- a nice saute pan with a lid, a heavy non-stick fry pan, and a medium-sized saucier. The saucier came with a sleek whisk, so I could deep six the rusty old bent one. And I bought a zester. It's zesty!
- Way way back in mid-April, three of my pals and co-workers from my former place of employment came up to visit! The weather was absolutely perfect for a trip into Philly. We got our high culture on at the Rodin Museum (fabulous) and our pop culture on at the Rocky statue (also fabulous). We gossiped and got caught up and ate ice cream (yeah, I planned for it!) at Zwahlen's.
- Have you heard the old curse, "May you live in interesting times"? Yeah, work is kinda like that these days. On the one hand, I got to hire a new tech writer; on the other hand, it appears that acquisition is imminent. We shall see!
- We booked a weekend away for our upcoming 35th anniversary. We scheduled our massages, arranged for late checkout, and reserved our S'more kits. I got time off approved for Friday and Monday. I plan on eating elegantly and relaxing powerfully, and who knows what else? (Heh heh.)
- This past weekend we bolted down to Ocean City for a last-minute getaway. We had a great dinner with my sister and brother-in-law, and spent a wonderful Sunday afternoon with SonnyeBoy, our newly admitted law student!
- We probably should have thought that trip through, because it was Cruzin' Weekend, when every antique car and hot rod owner comes to Ocean City to show off their prides and joys. This has the unfortunate effect of clogging up the one highway through town. The car oglers bring lawn chairs and coolers to the sidewalk so that they can observe the car drivers inch along. Occasionally an impatient driver has a testosterone surge and revs up his engine, only to be answered by another. My God, the noise!
- I'm thinking about going on a trip to Ireland with my sister.
- Good night!